“Take It To Level 3!” (Isaiah 41:13)

After forty-five minutes, my patience was gone. I was on a speaker phone with the tech support call center, as I dutifully followed all of his instructions. “You know…we have done all the same things you previously asked me to do…twice, and the computer is still not connecting to the server. This is really creating a problem for our office.”

 

“Yes…I understand.” A​ thoughtful pause followed. “I’m going to have to take this to level 3 support!”

 

Oh no! Not the dreaded level 3!

 

Level 3, advanced tech support, IT senior consultant-whatever the moniker, it can only mean that the technical problem that one is presently wrestling with cannot be solved by simply following a written protocol and flow charts. All workers in support call centers follow these as they painstakingly and annoyingly recite the steps back to you. And why not? Probably 90% of technical support calls can be solved by following one of these flow charts. It’s the other 10% of calls that requires someone with true expertise to intervene and hopefully resolve the problem.

 

“I’m going to place you on hold as I transfer the call. If we get cut off, here is your ticket number and if you call back, you will immediately be routed to Level 3 support.”

 

“Fine.” I sighed. It was not the first time an episode like this has occurred and undoubtedly many more will follow. After waiting another ten minutes, the Level 3 tech came on the line. About twenty minutes later, we were able to successfully resolve the connection issue with their server. No problem, except for over an hour of lost productivity in the middle of my work day.

 

In this digital world, we are becoming increasingly dependent upon technical support to resolve problems with our devices. When the usual support personnel cannot resolve the problem, the issue is elevated to a higher level of expertise who hopefully, will be successful. What about for our spiritual lives? Is there a Level 3, a higher level of support for which complicated spiritual problems may be resolved?

 

I wrestle with many spiritual issues; most revolve around the interpretation of selected Bible passages or how to sensitively interact with people of different cultures and faiths. I frequently take my questions to my pastors and I have been blessed to have known many fine pastors who took the time to work through ​most of ​my questions, usually answering me to my satisfaction. Rarely, however, some would honestly confess that they did not know the answer and were unsure who may be able to help me. I would read books, listen to sermons and study teachings from the internet, all from respected Christian scholars, but sometimes, no answer would be forthcoming. I needed a Level 3 spiritual support!

 

For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”

Isaiah 41:13 (ESV)

 

My highest level of support comes directly from God. On more than one occasion, my questions were resolved in a most unexpected manner. God placed me in a situation that vividly​, and painfully, taught me the meaning of a particular Bible passage or forced me to confront my own insecurities and preconceived prejudices of others. No rote protocols, no organizational divisions to navigate. God always immediately and accurately diagnoses my problems and has the perfect solution!

 

Level 3 spiritual support.

 

Thanks be to God that He is the highest level of support and only He can truly help me!

 

Love and trust the Lord; seek His will in your life.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s